Entry-Level Course for Drinking Water Operators (for Operators-in-Training)
The Entry-Level Course for Drinking Water Operators (ELC) is a mandatory course for all drinking water operators. This course was developed by the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks. Successful completion of the ELC is needed to upgrade a drinking water Operator-in-Training (OIT) certificate to Class 1 certificate.
Entry-Level Course for Operators
The ELC provides new operators with:
- a basic understanding of water characteristics and pathogens, treatment and distribution processes,
- a basic understanding of the regulations that govern water quality
It is intended to complement the on-the-job training that OIT’s receive from their employers.
- Register for the ELC
- Review information regarding OIT certification
- Review the Exam Rewrite Policy for Mandatory Courses
- Explore the Ministry brochure: A Student’s Guide to Drinking Water & Wastewater Operator Certification
The ELC is also included in the curriculum of certain environmental programs at several Ontario colleges. Students who graduate from these programs are not required to take the ELC through the WCWC.
ELC College Programs
The following Ontario Colleges include the Entry-Level Course in their environmental program.
- Algonquin College – Environmental Technician Program & Water and Wastewater Technician
- Cambrian college – Environmental Monitoring & Impact Assessment (EMPD) Program
- Canadore College – Environmental Technician – Protection and Compliance Program
- Centennial College – Environmental Technology Program & Environmental Technician Program
- Confederation College – Environmental Technician Program
- Fleming College – Environmental Technician Program
- Georgian College – Environmental Technician Program
- Humber College – Civil Engineering Technology Program
- Lambton College – Environmental Technician – Water & Wastewater Systems Operations
- Loyalist College – Environmental Technician/Technologies Program
- Mohawk College – Environmental Technician & Chemical Engineering Technology program & Utilities System Operator Program
- Niagara College – Environmental Technician Field and Laboratory Program
- Northern College, Kirkland Lake Campus – Environmental Technician – Water and Wastewater Systems Operations Program
- Seneca College – Environmental Technician & Environmental Technology Program
- University of Guelph Ridgetown Campus – Environmental Management Program
- St. Lawrence College – Environmental Technician Program
WCWC supports Ontario post secondary students. Unique hands-on training during the Operation of Conventional Treatment Processes course is provided to colleges that deliver the ELC as part of their programs.
What our clients say –Very informative course and great hands-on experience. The instructors are amazing!
Fleming College Student – Operation of Conventional Treatment Processes course